For 2018, Columbo Group developed a new arena show concept called Art’s House, a single stage festival headed up by world-renowned DJ, Artwork. A ‘lovely London festival’, the event aimed to create an intimate feel like that of a party with family and friends. The stage was designed with the façade of a house with a cut out to the kitchen and lounge, where Artwork and collaborator DJ Harvey played b2b throughout the day.
The Fair sourced the venue at Three Mills Green & Island for the show, the same venue as Percolate Open Air 2017, which meant the production team could use their knowledge from working at the venue.
Despite this, the team faced new challenges as the site needed to be re-designed to cater for an increased capacity, production elements and a two day show as the second day would host Anjunadeep Open Air.
In addition, the festival weekend saw the first heavy rain in weeks after the summer heatwave. Working with hard sun-scorched ground, the team needed to find a quick solution to make sure the site would not become water logged and avoid damage to the ground.
- Pre-Production: Procuring high quality suppliers and carrying out a health and safety audit for each.
- Venue sourcing and licensing: Working with Lee Valley Council to ensure the park’s monuments were protected and impact to residents mitigated.
- Site design and CAD: The team had to design the site to cater for a 7k capacity as well as 10 food traders, VIP area, three bars and traditional funfair games.
- Live event: Full production and health and safety management during live days. Working with local businesses such as Tesco, Three Mills Studio and Sugar House Island building site to organise successful ingress, egress routes and PUDO space.
- Break: Leaving the park as close as possible to how it was before the event. Liaising with the local community over our impact and areas for adaptation in future years.
- Over 5,000 attendees despite rain on the show day
- Bespoke designed stage and site, including forest playground area, selection of street food traders and merch stand from Sports Banger
DJ Harvey @djharveysgeneralstore
“Arts House was absolutely epic! Thank you @artwork_is_up_to_something and all of you that played a part in creating such a lovely London festival”
“Arts house is the only London festival worth going to this summer. From the music, to the production and even the food, legendary DJ Artwork has orchestrated a full day of fun happening on August 11th in east London.”
“The music’s not the only thing worth going for, as the production and entertainment are sure to make the festival special.”
Photos: Courtesy of Columbo Group