Gala is an independent festival all about great food and drink; and the best of house, disco, funk and soul. The ambitious first event was held in 2016 at Brockwell Park, and while none could doubt the quality of the music there were logistical challenges. As a result The Fair were asked to step in and manage production in 2017. While the event organisers were then able to focus on curation. Our partnership has safeguarded the future of the festival with the 2017 event a complete sell out, and an incredible success.
In contrast to the high of the previous year, 2018 brought a new challenge as larger events took to Brockwell Park, forcing Gala to find a new home. For the organisers it was imperative that the event remained in South East London. The Fair worked tirelessly to secure the perfect spot in a beautiful corner of Peckham Rye Park. The location of the park coupled with suspensions on the London Overground, Southern and Thameslink services into the local area and closures of key local stations made ingress and egress planning especially challenging.
The Fair worked alongside the GALA team, Southwark Council and various suppliers to produce the events. In spite of a looming threat of thunderstorms and torrential rain, the sun shone all weekend and the festival site was basked in a golden hue. The atmosphere was eclectic with headliners including Derrick Carter, Midland, Horse Meat Disco & Honey Dijon. The vibe and energy of the audience was infectious and it was great to see the park come to life for so many people! With KERB on board this year the food selection was second to none with highlights including Otherside Fried, Nonna’s Gelato and Oli Baba’s.
- • Pre-Production: Procuring high quality suppliers
- • Working in partnership with Southwark Council, local stakeholders and local residents to develop plans while ensuring interests were protected and maintained within a park that had never before hosted an event of this nature
- • Working with the Friends of Peckham Rye Park and an independent Ecology Consultant to ensure the protection of wildlife within the park
- • Live Event: Ensuring quality sound across three stages whilst keeping within the maximum offsite levels
- • Managing production and health and safety for 8,000 attendees
- • Break: In spite of the unfortunate English Weather and almost the entire May average of 50mm (2in) of rain falling in just a few hours we left the park as close to possible as it was before our arrival
- • We continue to work with Southwark Council and the local community to ensure that reinstatement works are completed as soon as possible and we hope that after this is completed our event will leave no trace
- •8,000 people attended GALA Festival
- •Strong representation from the local community with 35% of ticket holders coming from Southwark, Lambeth and Lewisham
- •Great feedback from all who attended the festival
Anna Richmond in The Tung
“Gala was a vibe. It was also — and sorry to get cheesy here —an inspiring example of a refusal to give up on an idea. Congratulations to all involved for delivering a faultless day to a huge crowd of happy people.”
“You regularly stumble into the same hurdles at inner city festivals; levels are too quiet, the noise from each stage spills into each other, the crowd management is poor, not enough bar space… the list could literally go on forever. GALA handled these aspects of event management very well and for me, exceeded what was expected of it.”
Check out the event video below!